Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Branding, Burned Flesh and Disgrace?

Wikipedia, as unreliable as some may claim it, has always provided me with a great source of "no, sh#t!" tid-bits. While most of the time I am researching for client based knowledge, this time I happened across the word "Brand". This term I love and loathe. I use it frequently and want so badly to use it less frequently. Just like many marketing terms, this one has over-stayed its welcome with me. But sadly I can not conjure up a similar term that clients and the general public will understand - without a lengthly explanation (who wants more work?).
SO - upon reading the history of branding, I now see I must find another word. I did recall that branding also meant to sear a hot iron into the flesh of an animal (cattle usually). Nice huh? But I had never read the following, "Brand had also been figuratively applied since the late 16th century to criminalize people (as in disgrace, a stigma, or mark of infamy) and in the sense of firebrand
since the 17th century." I guess I have used the term in this context, but to compile these meanings (and the rest of them) - I can't grasp the transition to marketing: brand architecture, brand equity, brand extensions and the like. A stretch no, but the word started out so very negative. Is what we do negative? I don't think so. Branding has helped companies transform and breathe new life into what was a stale, nonperforming business. I compare it to a new wardrobe before the start of school. You feel like a new person, you can jump higher and think better ... at least that's what I told my mom. Branding creates a team, with jerseys, a flag, mascot and pushes that image out to the fans. You don't have to be a fan - I mean not everyone likes the Jets. But someone, somewhere understands where they came from, who the players are and what it means to be a Jets fan.
So when Stephen Brown spoke at the Gravity Free conference I was a little confused at his branding anti-christ attitude. But now, (I think) I see why he feels so strongly about companies behaving untruthful. If the brand does not deliver on the promise, the customer can get burned. Which brings me full circle to the original meaning of branding. As long as you are truthful in creating a brand, you shouldn't fear hot irons or disgrace.

No comments: